Development Cooperation & International Organisations
The Department of Development Cooperation and International Organisations is charged with the responsibility of coordinating regional cooperation activities and facilitating development cooperation with bilateral and multilateral institutions in order to contribute towards Zambia’s economic development.
It coordinates Zambia’s preparations and participation at international meetings, conferences, and fora organised by Regional and Continental economic groupings, the United Nations as well as other multilateral institutions. This also entails coordinating and organising the domestication of various international and regional conventions to which Zambia is a party.
In addition, the department analyses and monitors world economic trends and events in order to provide timely advise to Government in line with Zambia’s foreign policy.
Overall the department superintends over the economic aspects of Zambia’s Foreign policy.
The department consists of three units, namely:
- Development Cooperation,
- International Organisations, and
- Regional Integration.
The Unit of Development Cooperation has the following functions:
- Coordinating the effective analysis of development activities in order to promote and enhance Zambia’s bilateral relations;
- Coordinating research and preparation of economic reports in order to provide information for decision making by Government;
- Coordinating the preparation and participation of Zambian Officials at international fora and Joint Permanent Commissions in order to enhance bilateral cooperation;
- Coordinating timely the preparation of official documentation i.e. Briefs, Statements, Speeches in order to guide government in line with Zambia’s Foreign Policy;
- Undertaking research and analysis of economic trends and developments;
- Timely analysis of Reports from Zambian Missions abroad so as to appraise Government on novel economic trends and developments; and
- Coordinating timely preparation of reports on bilateral cooperating partners in order to appraise Government on recent developments.
The International Organisations Unit has the following functions:
- Coordinating, effectively, the analysis of the activities in international organisations;
- Coordinating timely preparation of official documentation i.e, Briefs, Statements, Speeches;
- Coordinating regularly monitoring of events in international organisations;
- Coordinating the implementation of decisions adopted at bilateral and multilateral level; and
- Coordinating research and preparation of reports in international organisations.
REGIONAL INTEGRATION UNIT
The Regional Integration Unit has the following functions:
- Coordinating preparation and participation of officials at regional fora in order to ensure Zambia’s effective participation;
- Coordinating the follow-up action of decisions and programmes under various regional integration and cooperation arrangements; and
- Coordinates effectively the monitoring, research and analysis of regional integration developments worldwide in order to prepare timely reports and provide information for decision making.